1. The server fully wiped on 10/27 any new players coming in. This is a fresh start
Thank you to everyone who sends money to help keep the server up and running so everybody can have a good time it is appreciated

Ultralight Reclassification

Discussion in 'Role Play Suggestions' started by Uri Petrov, May 13, 2019.

1. Uri Petrov

Uri Petrov Member Criminal

So, I remember hearing a story from someone in Legion Square about the new flight guidelines and such. They either didn't remember or wasn't notified that the licensing for airplanes had changed and that their sport license no longer covered aircraft.
    Needless to say, they were promptly shot out of the sky and crashed into a building.
    Kind of funny, because it's an ultralight. It's really just a glorified go-kart with wings and the equivalent of a rubber-band engine powering it.
    After a really uneventful day, and me being stuck in an area with minimal wifi, I remembered that story. So, to Wikipedia I went, because something didn't seem quite right about using a fighter jet to shoot down a ultralight.
    I assume that the city falls under US laws and regulations of Section Blah-Legalspeak, part Federal Jargon. Okay, to the point.

Under Federal Aviation Regulations, Title 14, Part 103, Ultralight aircraft are defined as:

• has only one seat
    • Is used only for recreational use or flying
    • Does not have a US Airworthiness certificate or international equivalent
    • If unpowered, weighs less than 155 pounds
    • If powered;
    - Weighs less than 256 pounds,
    - Has a maximum fuel capacity of 5 gal.
    - Has a top speed of 55 knots
    - Has a power-off stall speed of 24 knots
    In addition,
    • Ultralight vehicles do not have to be airworthy certified or have any parts that are. They can be, though.
    • Operators of ultralight vehicles do not have to meet any aeronautical knowledge requirements, nor have a minimum age.
    • Ultralight vehicles do not have to be registered or have registration markings.

The vehicle used by Rockstar as a base for the in-game Ultralight is a Air Creation Racer, an ultralight aircraft that meets these requirements (US FAR 103 Ultralight Vehicles category.)
    In the event of a crime being committed with one of these, this can be easily disabled, from the ground, with small arms fire-and that's in GTAO. I know the damage systems on server are a bit wonky, so that's going to make a pretty fragile plane even more fragile.
    Plus, 5 gallons of gasoline is not really that much of an explosive threat, either.

I am requesting that the laws are adjusted so that ultralight aircraft are an exception to the current Air Laws and Regulations(License and Permit requirement not required, and radio contact not required because ultralights don't have any) in place to reflect the United State's laws on ultralight aircraft.

Small Edit:
    When I said "exception to Air Laws and Regulations", I was meaning more so that it doesn't require a pilot's license or a radio, but other than that? Everything else still is in effect.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. J. Kallam

J. Kallam Active Member Supporter

Do we currently have an ultralight in server? Also what are the airspace laws surrounding populated urban centers with ultralights?

3. J. Kallam

J. Kallam Active Member Supporter

disregard the second question, I looked it up

§103.15 Operations over congested areas.

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

§103.17 Operations in certain airspace.
    No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.

§103.19 Operations in prohibited or restricted areas. No person may operate an ultralight vehicle in prohibited or restricted areas unless that person has permission from the using or controlling agency, as appropriate.

4. Jesus El Gato

Jesus El Gato Thai Chi Master Staff Member Developer Supporter

From what I know about FAR 103 and ultralight aircraft, LS would be restricted per 103.15

LSIA would need to allow for ultralight takeoffs via filed flight plans. Don't know how our aviation department would want to set that up...
    @SmokinMonk please advise, IRL this does not require a pilots license, I would argue for the same. Maybe a training to allow for proper coms training.

The rest of SA I would say would be free reign except for the airspace directly over Zancudo and landings to Sandy would probably need to be following coms training as well, grapeseed not having a tower would be fine to land in my opinion using line of sight.

Under FAR 103 poor flying conditions and night time flying I believe add restrictions. like flexible wings not being able to be used (not a problem for us as the trike has a ridged wing frame) and flashing lights needing to be used at night or dusk. (Which I believe the trike in game does not have).

5. SmokinMonk

SmokinMonk Well-Known Member Supporter S.A.F.R. Department of Justice

@Uri Petrov In response;
    - In GLG there have never been any sport licenses, ever. Whomever said that was lying and they knew it.
    - The ultralight in SA carries more than 5 gal of fuel, and flies between 25 and 50 knots.
    - The only place an ultralight can be taken out is at an aerodrome where a garage exists.
    - Part of the reason the ultralight requires PPL is because of past admin intervention, its better to stay IC.
    ... Also because the only place you can garage and takeoff / land is at an aerodrome, requiring comms

To reduce bureaucratic excess, admin intervention, and provide parallel training to all aviators, the PPL we have covers all aircraft. Therefore your private pilots license covers the ultralight and also endorses the operator to use that ultralight at any of the aerodromes in SA. All aircraft are required to have a functioning two way radio, and this has reduced administrative interventions when people perform activities that are prohibited; staff can call out to the pilot and inform them of any necessary course or altitude correction. A pilot without a license may not be aware of flight minima, restricted areas, or aerodrome minima, and thus cause a conflict with other aircraft or staff. It helps the pilot stay aloft and have fun with farless frustration from admin, other pilots, or national guard interceptor jets.

@Jesus El Gato
    At this time there aren't any routinely towered control zones so its up to each pilot to co-ordinate and organize themselves in a safe and responsible manner. In effect, all aerodromes in SA are untowered and considered class G unless a CAA controller is active, in which case it becomes a class E. As ultralights must use the aircraft garage system located only at aerodromes, so must they comply with the required traffic circuit and radio callout standards that apply to everyone else.

A recreational pilots license restricts a pilot to flying within 25 nm of the aerodrome of departure, and is required when using an aerodrome to takeoff or land. The entire game map of SA is about that big, with three AD. This is why the rules are very lax when it comes to the PPL, closely mimic that of the real life RPL, and CZs are kept to a minimum. It maximizes the use of space while endorsing the required level of organization around collision prone areas, or critical flight pathes. Otherwise the entire map would be one giant class C nightmare of an airport within anothers airport control zone, meaning very little fun to be had and confusing for all (without any of the expected traffic to back up its reasoning).

So with all of that in mind, my train of thought is that we can look at creating an advisory airspace where ultralights can fly sans-license. Problem is, where the hell do we put the garage for it in order to be away from populated areas and aerodromes? Do we set aside a Thursday and Saturday and say that ultralights are allowed to be flown north of the alamo sea at no less than 500 feet AGL? I could make an event and put up a NOTAM warning pilots that mackenzie airfield will have ultralights taking off and landing, some of which have radios that may be incapable of transmitting.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Payne likes this.