1. The server fully wiped on 10/27 any new players coming in. This is a fresh start
Thank you to everyone who sends money to help keep the server up and running so everybody can have a good time it is appreciated

Automobil Zeitschrift - Issue 8 [12/30/19]

Discussion in 'Weasel News Channel' started by Uri Petrov, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Uri Petrov

Uri Petrov Member Criminal

Before I go into the usual "this why car good an bad" format, I'd like to tell you about a few things. Good things!
    For starters, I'm expanding into a new county-and for our new readers from Bearly County, thank you for tuning in. I'm glad I got all the legal paperwork sorted out in advance, otherwise I would have awaiting confirmation for the reporting license.

Secondly, I'd like to thank everyone who helped me in 2019. Even the people who kinda-sort of cheered me on when I was trying to get Auto Exotic as a business. I know that I brought this up with several people, but a very, very special thanks to Don, who tolerated me there.
    Don, just admit that you hated me a little bit. Everyone does.
    Or maybe that's my self esteem.
    Hey, either way, it's funny to the grand total of 13 viewers of this magazine, I'm awarded the internet funnyman award, and I get paid for it. Onto the next thing.

Usually, in very fine print. I say;
    "Have a car that you want me to review? Email me at Uri#3912."
    In 2020, as a New Year's resolution of sorts, I'd like to see your cars. It's a car that other people would have the chance to see, driving around by others in the city, and not locals. With all of my cars, they are sold to make way for the next car. I'm not blessed with a McMansion of a garage, like Tyler Hoover. Or money, like....every large car youtuber. Journalists don't count, because I don't think many have well paying jobs. Especially Jalopnik and their subsidiaries. As far as I'm concerned, Jalopnik goes through journalists faster than a Northstar with it's head gaskets.
    Seriously, the lowest count of articles I've seen so far was 3, and I didn't even look that hard at all.
    Back to your cars.
    I want to hear the stories behind your cars. Did you buy an ebay turbo kit? Did it blow up on you? EMS upgrades? All of that makes the car infinitely more interesting. And, when the time comes, you can say that your car is ONE OF A KIND and WAS FEATURED ON A POPULAR CAR SHOW on craigslist. Which you can add to the title that you've amassed so far: DON'T LOWBALL ME, THIS HONDA CIVIC WITH 500,000 MILES CAN KEEP RUNNING. 5k OBO (IN UNMARKED BILLS). NEEDS A LITTLE TLC.

Getting back to the point, I want to thank you all for making this year great, and I hope you all had wonderful holidays with your loved ones.

A u t o m o b i l ______ Z e i t s c h r i f t

[​IMG]
    KARIN 190z

(click on the links, i ran out of image slots to put on here)
    So, we're approaching 2020. Which makes this car at least 42 years old.
    The Karin 190z (190zed if you're British), better known as the Nissan S30, Datsun 240z/260z/280z, or Fairlady, was a sports car manufactured from 1969 to 1978, and acted as one of the first Japanese cars to sell well in the USA, and also to be priced lower than other European sports cars-and compete with them. Power comes from a straight six, and produces 165 horsepower; do note, though, that this varies in the US dependent of what year you get-the 240z is more powerful than the 260z(emissions standards changed)m and the 280z had...149 horsepower. Gee, thanks emissions standards.

Like stated earlier, the primary competitors of this car were more expensive European sports cars, such as period 911's and Jaguar E-Types, and of course, Ferrari. However, nobody can really afford those, and this made it possible for the S30 to exist-and it worked quite well. After this, no longer was Japan solely a producer of dull econoboxes.
    And then the Honda Civic came out; a exciting econobox-but that's for a later review.

So, 190z. How does it stand in where we live, and not over in mainland USA?

[​IMG]
    Top speed is 145 in smooth conditions(stock), and it takes forever to get there; do note, that it is very happy to go to 80mph. It's kind of it's comfort zone.

[​IMG]

It's plently nimble enough to dodge the theoretical traffic I may or may not have encountered while going this theoretical top speed that I totally did not achieve.

Moving onto the interior.

[​IMG]

The interior is a nice wood grain finish, with an easily reupholstered fabric(I say this, because I can without a doubt has mold in it) as a secondary tone on the inside-the dash has a bunch of yellow lights-I can only assume they are for warnings (i.e. door ajar) but the paint that once told you what they were has since worn off.
    If you're aware of what ancient language these lights speak, please tell me.

Then....there's these portals to the dark abyss on the sides of the car.

[​IMG]

I was utterly confused by these, and I initially feared that it would act like a catalyst for the 190z to adopt the Passat service position.
    It did not, thankfully.
    Believe it or not, those are borrowed from the Toyota 2000GT. Yes, the expensive limited production Toyota. In the 2000GT they would go to the air filter and water coolant tank, and the battery.
    But in the 190z, all you are welcomed with when you open these is the dark abyss of cold, grey steel, and nothing else. Why? Because everything else is in the engine bay. Where it should be.
    What is their purpose? Why are they here? Who fucking thought this was a good idea?

Then, there is handling. I already said this would be nimble enough, but for its age, the 190z is really nimble and light on it's feet, considering that around the same time Americans had no grasp of what the concept of "Turning, at a speed" was, and Europe wanted you to pay a premium price for it.

For a small break from my usual street performance wall of text, let's talk about this car off road.
    Every single vehicle in this state has seen dirt. Even the Bugatti Chiron.
    This car, however, almost thrives in the damn thing. It's difficult to lose control due to the torque and the sheer amount of grip this car has-this is without any spoilers at all. Put on some rear traction-bias wheels and a spoiler, and you've gone that much further. Comfort zone off-road is about 6000-7000 rpm.

This probably explains why the car won the WRC 1973 East Africa rally, and was very successful in the SCCA in the 1970's.

But what else does this car have to offer asides from great performance at a reasonable price?

Aftermarket support.
    Holy shit, aftermarket support.

You might be sitting there, thinking that your Sultan or Kuruma has "pretty good" aftermarket support.
    Yeah, this blows it out of the water. Let's take a look at a few of the photos from the parts catalog.

Want a stickerbomb cambelt cover?
    They have those.
    And more.

The stuff I'm about to bring up doesn't even scratch the surface of all of the possible mods on this car. It's almost Benny's levels of possible modifications.

Carbon strut bars (In the 'strut bars' section)-Actually, I changed my mind. How about a medium titanium one?
    upload_2019-12-31_20-0-3.png

Yep. And the carbon one, too.

Exhaust. But what if it came out of the engine block? And there was 6 ports-because more exhaust ports makes your car go faster right?

Right?

Okay, yeah, but it needs frickin cool vents! I need to beat that Honda Civic that has a straightpipe that adds 560 more horsepower! A-and his stickers! H-h-his decals add 3 horsepower apiece!

upload_2019-12-31_20-12-1.png
    There you go. If you want a non-vented front end, or a casing for the exhaust pipes, several variations exist for that. Now, surely your completely stock engine will have 1200 horsepower and you'll beat a lap time at some track so you can brag about it. Speaking of tracks-
    Ahem. It is track day, bro.

WEIGHT SAVINGS BRO. BRO. ITS LIKE AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CAR WITHOUT THE WEIGHT BRO. TRUST ME.

upload_2019-12-31_20-42-56.png

CARBON FIBER MAKES ME GO FASTER BRO, WIDEBODY WITH WIDE TIRES HELPS WITH GRIP BRO.

Alas, there is one stage of evolution of the 'bro' not mentioned often.
    Oh look, he's here.*
    *oh god what did I do to deserve this hell served to me before i have even left this mortal realm

upload_2019-12-31_20-49-48.png
    TIME ATTACK, BRO.

BRO.

DID I TELL YOU ABOUT HOW MUCH DOWNFORCE THIS WING MAKES BRO?

IT MAKES MORE THAN THE CAR BRO.

BRO.

THIS CAR IF IT WAS ON A VERTICAL LOOP BRO? WOULD STAY TO THE GROUND BRO.

YOU DON'T EVEN STAND A CHANCE* BRO.

*Bro's engine later that day blew out on lap 3. Out of 30.

Thank you all for reading this year. I actually hit the image limit that the article software allows, so do check the links I put in the article. I'm terribly sorry about the image limit-it makes the historical wall of text a bit of a bother to read.

Again, thank you. Y'all make my life a lot better.

Feel free to comment below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    CasparMueller and SirCowball like this.